UPDATE!!: SeeVirtual can now do your Just Listed & Just Sold Postcards, including the design, printing, bundling, boxing, labelling, & delivery to Canada Post. Get your first 100 Just Listed or Just Sold copies for FREE when you send us your Canada Post mailwalk PDFs
Here is the process of ordering a postal walk via the Canada Post website. This will give a good understanding of selecting, targeting, and ordering if you haven't done this in a while or at all before. If you can order through your brokerage (video here), it's recommended that you do so, as you likely have a Nationally negotiated brokerage rate that is better than what is offered to the general public, but in case you do not, you can follow the steps below.
Before reading through the steps below, you can watch this video walking you through the entire process:
The number of steps below looks long and complicated but as you follow along on the Canada Post website it will all make sense ;) You may want to print these out for your first go:
- Go the Canada Post website: www.canadapost.ca
- Log into Canada Post - if this is your first time, create a User account.
- Go to the dropdown menu Tools (in the header next to the Canada Post logo) and select Marketing Tools (Or if you clicked Tools, it's under the Popular section)
- Select Precision Targeter
- Agree to the Terms and Conditions
- Select Plan An Unaddressed Admail Mailing > Get Started
Step 1: DESCRIBE MAILING
- The mail piece is Standard
- Under Standard, choose the weight, one piece weighs 30 grams
- Select Continue
- Leave the default Deposit date and click Continue
- Choose your target listing type. The window will open with ALL options selected, we recommend deselecting all items that are not your target (the check mark will become a red X):
- Definitely uncheck businesses unless you are targeting commercial sales
- If selling a non-rural House, deselect Apartments and Farms;
- If selling an Apartment deselect Houses and Farms.
- Click Continue.
Step 2: RANK BY DEMOGRAPHICS
- Selecting Demographics - a target audience can be selected using the 3 Categories to narrow the audience of who will receive your postcards. As this depends on your preference and type of listing we leave this to your discretion, otherwise, click Skip or Continue.
Step 3: DEFINE DELIVERY AREA
- Select Custom and hit Continue
- Type in the listing address (or your target area for the mailers) and click Continue. It will present a list of possible options; select the correct address from the drop down menu.
- A map will appear of the target area.
- Imagine the area of the map you would like the postal walk to cover. You are going to draw a box around the area.Click once on the map to set a point and then click the other corners of the desired area. This should create a purple box which encompasses the selected area. (A good starting radius is probably 1km, you can use the scale on the bottom left to gauge.)
- The map will then load the postal walks of your selected area. The postal walks are designated by 2 letters and 4 numbers eg.LC0071 The postal walks will be displayed on the map in different colours, each colour represents a different walk. At the top of the map, there is a count of the Total Mail Pieces and Estimated Delivery Cost. These numbers can be very high or low depending on the area you've selected and the walks that touch that area. High-rise apartment buildings can have hundreds of units in a very small area while rural farms might just contain a couple.
- Please keep in mind that you must do the entire walk, it cannot be selected in parts and pieces, if you do not have enough cards to complete the mail walk the postal walker will arbitrarily pick which addresses in the mail walk area the postcards are delivered to. The boundary that is selected is a rough selection that is refined by the actual routes of the postal walk.
Step 4: MAIL & SHIP ONLINE
- Mailing and Timing have already been entered.
- Deposit Location: The optimized deposit location is the one closest to the listing address and by using it, will reduce the delivery costs, we recommend using the Optimized deposit location. Click Continue
- Deposit Date: Choose a date 2 business days in the future of the current date, it doesn't have to be exact, as long as it is within 5 business days. DO NOT SELECT a Delivery Start Date as this type of order needs to be dropped off on the exact date or will be turned away.
- Containers: Select Customer Supplied Boxes 18x11x4.5 inches (this is the size of the box typically supplied by Staples)
- Bundling: Enter mail piece dimensions. Length and Width. Eg. 5.5 x 8.5 or 3.5 x 8.5 in inches
- Next to the Optimize button, Click Configure Manually
- 100 pieces per bundle
- 10 bundles per container